Plan Structure

The most common misconception about the Arizona Public Employers Health Pool is that AmeriBen and/or Blue Cross Blue Shield are the insurance carrier, which is not the case. Arizona Public Employers Health Pool is a self-insured employee benefit pool providing health benefits and services to its plan participants.

Because Arizona Public Employers Health Pool is self-insured, its Members assume the risk and retain the surplus. There are no shareholders to pay. In addition, the pool has less administrative costs than the typical commercial insurer. In fact, 89% of all premiums paid are used to pay for claim expenses incurred by the plan participants. The remaining 11% of premiums goes towards the costs of running the pool.